Sunday, October 27, 2013

Keep Going

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders & the sin that so easily entangles, & let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1NIV)

Today was a neat experience for me.  I had gotten a call earlier this week to speak at the last church my grandpa was pastor at.  I hadn't been in that church in years.  It's a small church with some great people at it who like many churches are struggling with low numbers right now.  As I walked in I met people who were there when my grandpa was, I saw the pastors study, & stood behind the same pulpit my grandpa had, delivering Gods message.  As I spoke, I paused a couple of times & smiled as I thought back to many years ago when my grandpa had been in that spot.  As I thought about that, I thought about this verse.  I thought about him & my grandma in that great cloud of witnesses smiling & cheering me to keep going.  That was my message to this church & all "small" churches out there, keep going.  It's hard & it can be a struggle & discouraging sometimes but we have a great message to tell the world.  We have a big God who can work with just a few faithful people.  The world needs the message we have & those who have gone on before us are cheering us on.  They were faithful to the work God gave them & now it's our turn.  We need to be faithful to do that work for those who come after us. So today was a neat day & an encouraging day.  Today I want to encourage you that no matter how small or insignificant that you might feel, keep going.  Listen to that "great cloud of witnesses" and stay faithful to the work God has given you to do.  I might not have had anyone to preach to today if my grandparents had not been faithful to their work.  I hope someday

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a sweet experience! Grandpa and Grandma would have been so pleased! I'm pretty sure God is too! Keep going, Cousin. You are doing great work through God!

    ReplyDelete