Monday, December 2, 2013

Imitate

Be imitators of God, therefore as dearly loved children (Eph. 5:1 NIV)

This verse came to me today as I was thinking about things which I do a lot.  I thought about in my life how many times I have imitated people in things that I was passionate about.  Growing up, I have always enjoyed sports.  I can't tell you how many hours I have spent being Magic Johnson, Roger Staubach, Ozzie Smith or one of my other favorite players.  I wanted to do the drills they did, shoot like them, pass like them, field like them.  I wore their jerseys.  I did everything I could to be play like them.  Then as I got into martial arts, I wanted to train where the best martial artists trained, & I wanted to train like they did.  I wanted to be the best like they were.  Even in ministry, I look up to some of the "giants" in Christianity.  I read their books, & watch them speak, listening to them often to see how they do it.  Charles Stanley, Beth Moore, Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, & many others have had a major influence on me.  I have been blessed in my life to have so many pastors as friends who have helped me.  Reading about the disciples & their journey & wanting to be faithful like them.  But at the end of the day, I really have to imitate my Lord & Savior Jesus Christ.  In coming to earth, He gave us the example to follow.  Love, courage, service, obedience to the Father, just to name a few of His traits.  All of the disciples, my pastors, & giants of Christianity would tell me to follow Christ.  He is the one who won't let you down.  Learn about Him, know Him, have a relationship with Him , & be like Him.  If His people will imitate Him, we will see a change in us, our churches, communities, & world.  Christ working through us is the only thing that has power to change lives.  Read His word & follow the example that He has given for us.  There is no better example to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment